Sunday, October 3, 2010

annoymous confessions

While trying to think of something to blog about, I thought I'd explore some topics a bit more close to home. A few clicks later and I found myself on Smith's very own blog entitled 'Smith'd.' Browsing around the page I found a link to an annoymous confession board and the topics ranged from 'hottest lesbiansss," "new sex blog," "legal pot" to "where the girls be @" To be at such an academic school, I found this a bit disconcerning. I decided to post about this because I'm curious to see what everyone else thinks of it...

4 comments:

  1. I appologise for not being as tech-savy as my clasmates (ie I can't figure out how to add the screenshot) but here is the website link

    http://collegeacb.com/sb.php?school=SmithColle

    ReplyDelete
  2. I struggled for a moment to relate this to the consumerism part of our class, but it seems so similar to the other posts here--in terms of its preoccupation with sex, especially--that I think it is related. Our culture teaches us every day, through advertising and social media, that sex is the most important part of our lives, and that to be sexy is to be a good person.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I understand how this post is a bit off the topic of consumerism but it is, as you said, closely relates to sex which was the topic of almost every other post up here and I wanted to gauge what the rest of the class thought.

    My other aim, which I now see that I didn't make clear was that with all these advancements in technology and social networking, personal relationships have shifted. With facebook, myspace, twitter, etc. no one really has to bear the heat of face to face interactions. We can voice our inner thoughts and hide behind technology. I feel that in a way it makes us cowards. And the anonymous confession board is a prime example of using technology as a mask

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely agree, Becky. And the logical extension of what you're saying about human relations in the internet age is the sort of bullying that led to Taylor Clementi's suicide. No one feels ethically responsible for what they post online; in fact, no one has much sense of what ethics ARE, anymore.

    ReplyDelete