Wednesday, November 10, 2010

"If Slaughterhouse Had Glass Walls"

WARNING: Please don't watch this if you are uncomfortable with gruesome, bloody, and brutal images.
While watching this video, I cried. I just couldn't believe how merciless and gruesome people were. I am personally enjoy meat but now I do understand why some become vegetarian after watching this. How can humans be so cruel to these innocent animals? Paul McCartney, before each section, introduces characteristics of these animals, starting from chickens & turkeys to fish & sea animals. I was aware that meat we see on plates are from animals killed in slaughterhouses (bloody indeed), but I was not aware of how they were killed or treated.
Animals were caged or locked in side by side with no space to move. Their limb muscles slowly deteriorate or they are fattened too quickly that they get crushed...yea...by their own bodies. For chickens and turkeys, necks are twisted or stomped on while they were still alive; For cows and pigs, throats were slitted while they were hanging on the ceilings...and yes while they were still alive. Calves and piglets were separated by their mothers. Some piglets in the video were slammed on the floor by one of the workers. These bloody and alive piglets were then thrown into small boxes to be thrown away. Pigs and milking cows were constantly pregnant. Milking cows were also fed special foods that kept them bloated. They were milked several times a day and when they couldn't function as "milk tanks" they were sent to slaughterhouses.
At the end, Paul McCartney warns that keeping meat out from our plates will not only prevent the obesity epidemic, but also decrease the green house effect. I then realized that this was an advertisement. An advertisement made by the PETA. However, this video did make me realize what was going on inside the slaughterhouses, but it didn't make me a vegetarian. Am I just cruel and insensitive as those people working in the slaughterhouse or am I just selfish? I never thought consuming meat was a bad thing. Of course I don't mind eating vegetables, but now that I've seen the video, what am I suppose to do? What do you guys think?

1 comment:

  1. i tried three times to watch this video but each time within the first ten seconds I start to feel sick. It's been four days since the first time I tried to watch the video and I haven't even been able to look at meat since. and for me, that's saying A LOT. I (used) to LOVE any/all kinds of meat. And, I cringe every time I see it.

    I know that not everyone will become vegetarians but really, what can we do? How do we improve slaughterhouse / animal treatment standards?

    ReplyDelete