Monday, November 15, 2010

Get Real


Image Credit: YouTube

I saw this ad last week in the corner of the YouTube while I re-watched Consuming Kids for my Sociology class. It was unsettling that while I was watching commentaries unfold about child obesity in America due to less at-home cooking and lack of free play, this ad endorsed much of what the documentary opposes. Also, the notion of Easthampton bank paying its customers to shop blatantly feeds into the consumerism of our society. I assumed that with a “Get Real” Checking account, there would be some sort of catch that entailed spending exorbitant amounts of money to be paid to shop. I found that the bank’s website instructs “Get Real” customers to “use [their] debit card for purchases ten times and earn $5” every month. I do not understand why people can’t just learn to save their money, instead of using the ill-willed logic to spend money to get very little back in return.


No comments:

Post a Comment