Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Burger King Sells Sex, Too


So, I know this ad is a bit old (July 2009) but it still is relevant to our society: marketers use sex and gender stereotypes for all types of products, not just the stereotypical ones such as clothing or perfume ads, for example. In this case, it's with food. Filthy fast food. This ad represents how low our standards are as a society. Seeing this advertisement for the first time gave me yet another reason why I don't like fast food: not only is it prepared inhumanely and clogs your arteries, but apparently, it now sells sex in a degrading way as well.

I'll be honest: a year ago, maybe, I wouldn't have understood the underlying message of this ad. I was that naive. I'm still naive, but I've heard enough that I can see what Burger King is trying to say....We've got a seven-inch sub, the word "BLOW" in huge letters, a blonde chick with red lipstick looking stunned (and probably excited) by the size of the sub, and the position of her with the sub just screams blow job right there.

It's disgusting. And yet, unfortunately, I can see teenagers, skipping school for some saturated fat for lunch, laughing and finding the ad hilarious. I wouldn't be surprised.

Ads like these cause me to question my faith in our Western society. When there is so much pain and poverty in the world, this is what the big-wigs are spending their time on?

I'll get off my soapbox now.

Photo source: http://www.globaldiversitypost.com/.a/6a010536c1f37b970b0120a53e844b970c-800wi

No comments:

Post a Comment