Friday, September 17, 2010

Piggy Bank?


The Cheeky.com is selling piggy banks... not just any kind but "real" piglet banks. According to the website it states,

"Designed for anyone who has far too much money and loose change...Its a real piglet that has been taxidermied and inserted with what all piglets probably dream of as babies, a coin storage unit and a cork plug...Just so you know that we don't actually kill the Piglets, they die of natural causes and these are the ones that we use.."

At least they aren't killing these poor creatures but who would pay $4000 to lay their hands on this...disgusting and disturbing object. Every time you put in your change and before you go to bed, that piglet will stare at you and it's real. And if I were a piglet, turning into a piggy bank would definitely not be my "dream" as babies, yuck. So, would you guys buy it?










2 comments:

  1. I wonder who the primary consumer is that find this appealing. I could see this being popular in the Western United States, but it’s hard to imagine a person from Northampton buying this, or even most of the East or West coasts. It’s kind of interesting that the advertising emphasizes that the piglet died of natural causes, while many people eat pigs with no sense of guilt. Where did you find this?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an interesting one. The site it's from seems to cater to a quirky, off-beat consumer base: someone who has the money to buy products that reveal that they're NOT the mainstream. Some of the products on the site do that more aggressively than others, of course, but overall this is pandering to non-conformism. I kind of see the appeal, honestly; after all, I have a cast-bronze bat skull on my kitchen window.

    But my first reaction to this pig was yuck. (I wonder why that wasn't my reaction to the bat skull?)

    ReplyDelete