Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Talkin' about My Generation.... and soda?




I found this commercial for Pepsi really interesting. In order to promote their sodas, Pepsi typically base their ads on the theme of generations. The implications that I observed from this ad is that this carbonated drink has been an important part of the American culture for the past 100 years. Since when were soft drinks so significant? This advertisement, which came out in 2009, takes the viewer through the different generations of the 20th century- showing us the image of youth that has evolved over the century, with each decade having music, fashions, and political events that shaped their unique generation. But still, all generations had one thing in common. They all drank Pepsi.

The commercial ends with the line "now it's your turn". Assuming that this line is targeted toward us college students, let's go grab a can of Pepsi and let the world know what we're all about!

Video courtesy of youtube.com

2 comments:

  1. The ad also says "every generation refreshes America" or something like that (I'm too overloaded with ads right now to want to watch it again, honestly). The implication, though, is that each generation makes a sort of revolutionary change in culture--refreshing it, in a sense. And yet, and yet, Pepsi is saying DON'T change: keep drinking Pepsi, like every other generation, including your stodgy old parents', has done. It's a subtle contradiction, but it bugs me. Marketers don't expect or want us to think about ads with anything like a critical mindset.

    Also, I know this is simply a sidebar to this ad, but it popped up as I was watching the opening sequence: how often do you see an obviously gay couple in tv ads, if ever?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first time I saw this ad, I loved it! (I still like it) I think it's very clever of them using historical moments to get to our hearts. However, I don't think pepsi was around in the fall of Berlin Wall or in the '20s. In fact, I'd say maybe an alcoholic drink would have been more accurate.
    Pepsi wants us to believe that this drink is part of our culture, when culture is something more than a drink! In fact, It is very sad to try to think in the american culture because all it comes to mind mind in "sex, drugs and rock and roll" What happen with the things that really matter like family values?

    ReplyDelete